Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Neon Glow

Photo Courtesy: Apoorva Sharma

I have always enjoyed nature in its bare form. I love the sea, and have made many trips to beaches. I have been lucky that I stay in southern California close to many beautiful beaches. But recently a trip to New York changed my perspective of an enjoyable vacation. The beauty of the city left me awestruck.

Walking among skyscrapers towering above the streets like endless spires puncturing the skyline, I had very motivating thoughts about the human ability to thrive. It was a strange feeling as I was walking with friends from childhood, each having spent most of his/her childhood and adolescence in very small conservative towns in India. After so many years we were together in the greatest city in USA, half way around the world from our hometown. Yet in the scintillating night lights of the city we were as much at home in this cosmopolitan bustling environment as we used to be playing together in a small isolated town consisting of quaint little neighborhoods. What touched me most was the warmth in the way my friends hosted me after so many years.

It added to the hues of neon that adorned the city. She looks like a princess at night. The closest experience of such a thriving and lively city has been Mumbai in India. There is little space to spare, yet room for everyone. Enjoyment is expensive here, but priceless when savored with good company. Given an opportunity, I sure would go back and spend time in the New York again.

"The city's got the right name - New York. Nothing ever gets old around here."
-Ralph Stephenson.

No comments: